California’s not just the Avocado Capitol of the World, it’s home to some of the country’s most progressive cannabis laws. In fact, they started trying to decriminalize marijuana as early as 1972.
Fast forward many years. In current-day Cali, hemp-derived CBD with a max of 0.3% THC is legal. Furthermore, you’re free to partake of recreational marijuana as well, with some restrictions.
California CBD Laws At A Glance
Do you know what you need to know? It’ll serve you well to keep these key points of California CBD laws in mind:
• CBD from hemp that contains 0.3% or less THC is legal.
• CBD-infused foods and beverages are not legal in California.
• Anyone over the age of 21 can buy CBD.
• California maintains a medical marijuana program.
• Recreational marijuana usage is legal.
Is CBD Legal in California?
The Golden State has quite the legal legacy when it comes to cannabis. California laws are making lengthy strides to develop a sustainable cultivation and processing industry and to enable reasonable access to high-quality CBD products.
Let’s take a quick look at where the state started and how far they’ve come with cannabis legislation.
- In 1975, California adopted legislation that relaxed marijuana penalties. Possession of small quantities of marijuana was no longer a criminal offense, but a civil infraction.
- A couple decades roll by before California passes the Compassionate Use Act in 1996. This law let people with certain medical conditions and a doctor’s blessing to use marijuana. Subsequent laws further clarified and improved the administration of this program.
- California took additional measures to decriminalize and reduce penalties for marijuana crimes.
- 2018 was an exciting year for cannabis in California. The state enacted the Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act (MAUCRSA), which legalized hemp- and marijuana-derived products for those over 21 years of age. Later, the 2018 Farm Bill was passed and declared hemp CBD with 0.3% or less THC legal at the national level.
- California’s not done yet. Look for more legal and regulatory movement specifically targeted at CBD.
Can You Buy CBD Products Legally In California?
Eureka! California has given the green light CBD. You’re in the clear to buy federally-sanctioned CBD products here. And, with no established possession limits, feel free to really stock up next time you spy a good deal.
This also means Californians can shop online or locally for their CBD items. The good news is — between physical stores and virtual markets — tons of CBD shopping options are available. Just be sure to find a trustworthy retailer.
Can You Buy CBD At Brick & Mortar Stores?
CBD seems to be everywhere these days. You may peruse shelves of CBD products at your nearest dispensaries, health and wellness shop, pharmacies, or other stores in California. Which is awesome if you like to “look at products with your hands” or discuss them with (hopefully) knowledgeable staff. You really needn’t look elsewhere for your CBD if you don’t want to.
Can You Buy CBD Online?
No need to stress if you’re looking for CBD in California and don’t feel like hitting the local venues. Hemp-derived CBD oil with 0.0-0.3% THC can be legally mailed to the 50 states according to federal law. So, all you need to do is order your CBD online. Pretty easy, right?
You can safely and conveniently purchase CBD online from Pure Craft. Need some inspiration? These high-quality CBD products are popular in your area:
Learn More About CBD Laws In California
If you’d like to go into full legal scholar mode and do some more research on CBD laws in California, check out these resources.
- Relevant California laws: Compassionate Use Act, SB 94, SB 153
- California Department of Food & Agriculture: California Industrial Hemp Program
- CDPH Information on Industrial Hemp (IH) Derivatives Including Cannabidiol (CBD)
- California Bureau of Cannabis Control
- Possible future legal and regulatory changes: New California Cannabis Laws for 2021, California Cannabis: What to Watch for in 2021
California & CBD Legality — Bottom Line
Hemp-sourced CBD with 0.3% or less THC is legal in California. Though you have to be over 21 to buy it, you’ll discover that CBD is readily available. You can buy CBD products at local stores or dispensaries or online.
California also has a medical cannabis program and permits recreational marijuana use.
We’re not legal professionals or otherwise qualified to offer legal advice. So, while we do our very best to be thorough, up-to-date, and 100% correct, the content above is for informational purposes only. Please also note that the laws surrounding CBD are subject to change. We recommend checking our source(s) to see if the information or legal status have been revised since our content was published.