Wondering if CBD is legal and where to buy CBD in Wisconsin? You’re in the right place! We’ll take a dive into the CBD laws and availability in the dairy state.
But, to sum it up in short order: CBD is legal in Wisconsin.
Wisconsin CBD Laws At A Glance
When it comes to CBDin Wisconsin here are the big points you need to know:
• Hemp-derived CBD with ≤0.3% THC content is legal.
• You can purchase CBD at avariety of retail locations.
vYou can possess CBD oil andCBD-only cannabis with a physician’s approval.
• It’s not legal to produceCBD in Wisconsin unless you have a special permit.
Is CBD Legal in Wisconsin?
Wisconsin is a state to watch for evolving hemp, CBD, and marijuana laws. As we noted above, CBD is legal in this state. But, to understand the big picture, let’s splash around in the history of hemp in Wisconsin.
The state has been proactive about passing laws in recent years to prepare for the national rescheduling of CBD and other potential changes. So, while recent events might seem conflicting, you should know that Wisconsin is a very CBD-friendly state. Organizations like the Cannabis Industry Association of Wisconsin (CIAWI) are also pushing for the legalization of cannabis in the state. So are voters.
- In addition to supplying over 15% of the nation’s supply of milk, America’s Dairyland used to be one of the nation’s top hemp-producing states. America’s Hempland? We think so!
- Federal law outlawed hemp production in 1958, but in 2017, Wisconsin agriculture welcomed back industrial hemp.
- A few years earlier in 2014, the state passed Wisconsin Act 267, also known as Lydia’s Law. It approved CBD for certain medical conditions. But, there was a catch. It only legalized FDA-approved CBD. The only form of that is Epidiolex, a prescription medication for epilepsy. This meant it was complicated and costly to get CBD, even if you had a medical condition.
- Everything got cleared up in 2017 with the passing of SB10. There are now no penalties for non-pharmaceutical CBD, so patients can get their CBD wherever they choose. It does have to be hemp-derived CBD with ≤ 0.3% THC, which is also the federal law.
- Since 2018, you can have Farm Bill-approved CBD in Wisconsin. That is, hemp-derived CBD with 0.3% or less THC content.
Medical CBD oil possession is legal with a doctor’s recommendation. Medical marijuana is not legal. Recreational marijuana has not been decriminalized — yet.
Despite a recent resurgence in Wisconsin hemp agriculture, it’s still illegal to produce CBD products. Things that make you go “hmmm.”There’s a work-around to CBD production in Wisconsin, though. You can grow and produce hemp products if you have a license through the State of Wisconsin’s Hemp Program.
Can You Legally Buy CBD Products In Wisconsin?
Great news! CBD is widely welcome in Wisconsin. This means CBD is available at physical establishments as well as virtual shops. All you have to do is decide whether you want to head to the nearest CBD retailer or place an order online. Isn’t that awesome?
Purchase CBD At Brick & Mortar Stores
You’re likely to find CBD locally in Wisconsin thanks to their CBD-friendly laws. Hemp shops, pharmacies, health food stores and more stock ingestible, edible, and topical CBD products. You may even be able to order CBD-infused cocktails and food items at bars and restaurants. However you get your CBD, be sure to choose establishments with staff who are well-educated in their CBD quality and selection.
Buy CBD Online
Just because CBD is in reach doesn’t mean you want to — well — reach. We imagine brisk Wisconsin winters might keep you bundled up inside. If a few clicks of the keyboard and mouse is more your speed or you just want options, online shopping is your CBD BFF.
You can safely buy high-quality CBD products online from Pure Craft. In fact, here are some CBD products that’re popular near you:
Where Can You Get More Info On Wisconsin’s CBD Laws?
That’s a good question! We can tell you’ve got the ol’ thinking cap on. Your best bet is to go straight to the source:
- Wisconsin’s Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection
- All the documentation Wisconsin’s DATCP has churned out on this subject
Wisconsin & CBD Legality — Bottom Line
You’re in the clear to use and buy hemp-derived CBD oil with 0.3% or less THC in Wisconsin for recreational use, or medical CBD with a doctor’s okay.
We’re not legal professionals or otherwise qualified to offer legal advice. So, while we do our very best to be thorough, up-to-date, and 100% correct, the content above is for informational purposes only. Please also note that the laws surrounding CBD are subject to change. We recommend checking our source(s) to see if the information or legal status have been revised since our content was published.